Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Cocktails


Simple syrup is not a new concept to me. I'm quite aware of the fact that it is a key component of many a drink, but I've never made it at home. And wow. It is easy! And delicious. If you're a fan of sweet, summery drinks (with or without alcohol), whip up some simple syrup and go nuts! I added mint to mine (mint I grew myself, don't forget!), and it made a lovely addition. I made a drink based off a The Kimmy, a recipe I found on culinate.com. For simple syrup, simply bring equal parts sugar and water, plus mint in this case, to a boil and then let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. If you added something such as mint, simply pour the simmered mix through a strainer and press the leaves for maximum flavor. The recipe on culinate.com recommends using 1 cup of loosely packed mint leaves. Once you've got your syrup, keep it in a glass jar in the fridge and use at will!


The drink I made included gin, tonic, a splash of both lemon and lime juice, simple syrup and mint for garnish. Mint simple syrup is a key ingredient in mojitos, a personal favorite, so that's what I'm going to test it on next. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Seattle lady. Please write about, add to, or otherwise utilize this totally cool blog post at thekitchn.com - http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/eat-this-town-seattle-a-guide-to-farmers-markets-food-halls-specialty-shops-and-other-mustsee-spots-for-foodlovers-090056

    ReplyDelete