Friday, June 18, 2010

Surprise!

A funny thing happened last week as I sorted through my enormous box of CSA vegetables: I suddenly realized that what I really needed to add to the mix was some meat! There’s something incredibly comforting about meatloaf, and I find my mother’s recipe to be just the ticket. I’m sure (in fact, I know) that there are meatloaf recipes that involve combinations of meat, fresh herbs, carefully selected fillers, rare mushrooms and such. I don’t bother myself with those recipes. This one is tried and true, and with the standard items that I keep in my cabinets and refrigerator, the only ingredient I ever need to buy in order to make this recipe is the ground beef!

Meatloaf (as my mom makes it)
1 egg
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp chili powder
ground pepper
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
garlic powder (just a shake or two)
1/8 cup grated onion (do grate it, rather than dicing it)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup oats
1 1/2 lbs ground beef

Topping:
4 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Combine all of the ingredients except the ground beef. Mix them well before adding the ground beef. The mix that well, too. Place in a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes - then remove from the oven, add the topping (which you should mix together first), and then bake another 15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment