Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Coleslaw

In my experience, coleslaw is often kind of soggy, dripping in mayonnaise. Sometimes it is even sweet, which, to me, seems kind of inappropriate for cabbage and carrots. Well, as the CSA has a habit of doing, it motivated me to take a nice fresh look at these ideas, because, frankly, I have cabbage and carrots coming out my ears.

Happily, Vegetable Love came through in the nick of time, providing a fresh dressing with a bite, which just barely skims across the surface of the many crispy bits of vegetables that it resides with in the bowl so nicely. I made this recipe earlier this summer, and just realized that I was actually craving it again! Round two has come out just as delightfully as round one, did.

Here's the recipe, halved, with my edits and alterations. I find this to be plenty of coleslaw for one person to consume without getting tired of it, but if you were attending a big picnic, I'd at least double it back to the original recipe (vegetable mix AND dressing).

Crisp Slaw (the recipe name is ever so appropriate here!)

Mix together:
green or red cabbage, cored and finely shredded (about 2 cups)
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1-3 carrots, peeled and grated (about 1/2 cup)

Combine and add:
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1/8 tsp mustard seeds

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving - the leftovers get more flavorful with time, and the salad lasts just fine up to about a week.

1 comment:

  1. If you need more cabbage/carrot ideas, something I eat at least twice a week in the summer when I'm lazy and don't want to cook is shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped scallions, and sliced radishes if I have them lying around. Toss with sesame oil and ponzu (citrus-flavored soy sauce) and any additional herbs/seasoning (cayenne is good), or toss with a mixture of bottled peanut sauce and ponzu. Top with avocado chunks. (You can add tofu if you want some protein involved, or edamame removed from their pods). Eat with good grainy bread alongside. Yum.

    ReplyDelete